The kits are here:
A typical kit contents:
Fairly standard. You have etched brass sheets for the coach body and bogies. There are also bags of whitemetal and lost wax brass castings. The roof is vacuformed.
I have the wheels which arrived separately and these are being painted.
16 July 2012
After completing some wagons, I can now get back to these coaches. First the wheels:
I had to do a fair bit of fettling of the axlebox castings to get them to sit properly on the bogie sides.
The instructions say to do the tumblehome using a piece of dowel and then make the top and bottom bends. In fact it is better to do the bends first I think. A bending tool would be useful but I don’t have one so I resorted to my square nose pliers. First though, I scored the bend line with a couple of passes of my Olfa. This made things easier although I still made a bit of a pigs ear of my first bend. Subsequent bends were better. The inside folds were reinforced with solder.
I decided today to look at a representation of interior. I was inspired in this by an article by Andrew Lambert in MRJ 82.
I cut some 0.010″ plastic card to be a snug fit, marked with a felt pen and taped the card behind the windows. I marked the windows with a scriber and then cut them out with a sharp Xacto.
Following this I wanted to get the body soldering out of the way.
I soldered the guard duckets on – it was a bit of challenge to get them on square but I managed.
I then soldered the lower door hinges in place. The etched holes should be cleared by inserting the end of an Xacto blade.
Following this I soldered the ends. These are located by fold down tabs on the ends. Reinforce with solder, then clean them up with a file. There are slots in the lower fold of the sides. Again, clear these with a Xacto blade, make sure the tabs fit. Adjust the tumblehome and ensure there are no unsightly gaps between side and end.
Position the end tab in the slots, press down firmly (but don’t buckle anything) and solder the lower corner. Make sure the end is flush with the side. If not desolder and correct. To get the end to go in a bit, file of the corner of the tab so that the end can slide a bit. Once happy with this first tack, tack the top of the corner. Again make sure things are flush. If not put the end on a flat surface and apply the iron while pressing down. Once happy, complete the corner with a bead of solder.
Now, join the opposing ends and sides in the same way.
It took me some while to get everything as correct as I could. I finished off with one of the etched compartment separators. I’ll come back to these later.
I thought I’d mate the body to the underframe:
Strangely, I had trouble with the screw holes in the underframe not lining up with the nuts on the body. I say strangely because everything has fit perfectly up to now. I’ve got to think that maybe it’s me. Anyway, holes were fettled and the body is on.